Friday, April 17, 2009

It's a wrap!

I completed the Helen Blowers Learning 2.0 program a year or so ago. This gave me a firm foundation from which to work. Familiarity with the majority of the technologies was advantageous in my case. I didn't find revisiting the technologies repetitive because I lack confidence in the technology department. The Web 2.0 Adventure enabled me to reinforce prior knowledge, absorb fresh information and learn new skills in a way that was stimulating, challenging and engaging.

I liked the method of the week by week task break down. It gave me something finite to work towards instead of being bamboozled by a seemingly endless aggregate list of tasks. I managed to comfortably work through the set material each week. A reasonably small amount of work often is much more manageable than a large amount all at once. I also have the luxury of studying part time. My coping mechanisms would certainly be stretched if I were tackling a full time load.

All content covered in the assessment task is extremely relevant to my current and future career in information management. Every technology explored could have potential use in a library setting, some more relevant than others. A broad knowledge of these emerging technologies and their impact on the sharing and organisation of information is mandatory if we as a profession are to better cater to the needs of the people we serve.

The required tasks have pushed me to question preconceived notions or reservations I held in regards to certain technologies. Up until now I have never desired or needed proficiency in many modern information technologies. I avowed to never sign up to Facebook, but reluctantly relented and with hindsight am glad that I did. It's not a tool I intend to use regularly but investigating it under sufferance has unexpectedly opened my mind to its potential value and hence changed my attitude towards technologies in general. Just as well considering my chosen career path!

The process of communication within my group was somewhat limited. Very early on in the piece two members relocated to a different tutorial and soon after that another member dropped out of the program. That left three of us. Open access to student blogs meant that there was always the option to further expand the lines of communication by initiating contact with others outside the designated groups. I found having access to student blogs to be both a blessing and a curse. On the one hand, it was very useful for sharing ideas and experiences, troubleshooting and confirmation that you were on the right track, but on the other hand, constantly comparing your work with that of your peers can leave you feeling as if your work is left wanting. Sometimes ignorance is bliss, although it must be said that seeing work of a high standard gave me the motivation to keep improving the quality of mine.

Posting thoughtful comments to other blogs was quite time consuming in addition to all the other tasks. I definitely felt that there was enough to do. The design of the assignment took into account the varying levels of knowledge and skills by not setting the degree of difficulty too high, but still providing plenty of opportunities for extension. Simply completing the set tasks was challenge enough for me.

Possessing a lower level of capability in the use and applications of information technology, I think I would have benefited from the assessment task done in previous years which covered the staples of the Microsoft Office suite. These activities have been made available through Blackboard, but finding the extra time to complete them is a struggle. That said, the vocational nature of many of the programs offered and the often dramatic changes taking place in industry are reflected in a constantly changing curriculum. This is one of RMIT's great strengths.

When I look back to my second post entitled 'My head hurts' , I was completely overwhelmed at the time by a glut of information I didn't even know how to go about processing. Now at the close of the Web 2.0 Adventure, I have a handle on the technologies. This has freed up more head space to begin discerning the most relevant and authoritative content from the endless masses of sub standard fare available online.

Throughout the process I have gained growing confidence upon successful completion of each task. This hasn't always come easily, but the hardest won are always the most satisfying. The maxim, 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again', tends to be my philosophy for all things computer related. I have enjoyed the Adventure and would highly recommend that it remain a part of the curriculum in some shape or form for the next little while.

I have used more technologies during the first part of semester one than I have in my entire life. Initially I was a bit apprehensive about all the new technologies, however, I can honestly say that I am now quite excited by the possibilities in both a personal and professional context.

No comments: